• Is my music eligible for synchronization and performance royalties? +

    Yes. Like most production music libraries, Owl Eye Records music library is subject to synch royalties where the artist's works is protected by a PRO such as ASCAP, BMI or SESAC.
  • What is production music and how is it used? +

    Any music you hear in a commercial, movie, video game or on a TV show was licensed. When you, as an artist, license a track to a company, you give them the right to use your music for whatever purposes you’ve both agreed. In return, that company will pay you for letting them use your music. You're not actually selling your song. You still retain all the rights to your music so you can license a song over and over again. The possibilities are endless so put your music to work.
  • What if I already have a record or publishing deal? +

    A signed agreement MUST be received by any / all co-writer(s), record labels, or companies that have control over any of the copyrights and intellectual properties in the sound recordings and songs that you submit. Without such consent, your music will not be considered.
  • 1

Music Licensing

  • What exactly is a temp track and how it it used? +

    A "Temp Track" is an existing piece of music that may temporarily serve as a guideline, style or emotion. A director or producer generally looks for music to set the mood in a production's cue.
  • What is the difference between a licensee and licensor? +

    This is often confusing to some. The clearest difference is that a Licensor is the music property owner. A music property owner can be the publisher, songwriter and/or composer. Often times, a single property owner may be all of songwriter, composer and publisher. A Licensee is the purchaser who has established limited or unlimited rights to use and benefits from the property.
  • What is a cue sheet? +

    Cue sheets are the primary means by which performing rights organizations track the use of music in films and TV. Without cue sheets, it would be nearly impossible for such composers and publishers to be compensated for their work. A cue sheet generally includes this information: Series/Film Title, Episode Title, Episode Number, Air Date, Show Length, Music Length, Production Company Information, Song/Cue Title, Composer, Publisher, Performance Rights Organization, Timing and Usage.
  • What is a publishing administrator? +

    Our parent company Owl Eye Entertainment Group acts as publishing administrator for artists who are not self-publishers. It manages song clearance and the process of licensing and maintains cue sheet reports for publishing rights organizations such as ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. This is performed once a song has been licensed for production.
  • What is clearance and why is it important? +

    All music properties available for licensing in our production music library goes through the proper rights clearances with songwriters, music publishers and record labels, We obtain this to ensure that it is free from error for use in projects.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Submission Process

  • How does Owl Eye Records protect usage of audio files? +

    If your music is accepted for inclusion, metadata is encoded to the downloadable license file, which records information such as the licensor’s name, account information, or email address. Also included is the file’s publisher, author, creation date, download date, and other notes.
  • How can I protect my work from pirates? +

    You should visit the U.S. Copyright Office website and read Circular 56, Copyright Registration of Musical Compositions and Sound Recordings and register your work with the Copyright office. Here is a link to copyright tips. http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.pdf Library of Congress U.S. Copyright Office –SR 101 Independence Avenue SE Washington, DC 20559
  • Do I have to pay to use Owl Eye Records? +

    You do not need to pay for an account if you’re simply uploading your content and publishing it to Owl Eye Records or any of our other integrated partners. However, if you’re planning to use Owl Eye Records to build your fan base, license your own music, sell products, or apply to posted opportunities, you will need to upgrade to a paid plan.
  • What if I don’t have an image for my song in JPG or PNG format? +

    Players look best when you include cover art or a photo representation. If your image file is not a JPG or PNG format, use one of the following solutions to convert it to JPG or PNG: • Pixlr (online service) • Gimp (open source desktop software) • Adobe Photoshop (commercial desktop software)
  • How should I encode my audio files? +

    Please ensure that your audio file is encoded at Bit Rate: 256 kbps, Sample Rate: 44100 (“44 kHz”), Precision: 16-bit, Channels: 2 (“stereo”). It should also possess ID3 tags. These tags are pieces of information such as the song title, artist, album title that are stored in the file itself. It may also contain embedded album artwork It may not be compressed with ZIP, RAR, or any other compression tool.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

My Account

  • If I would like payment made to my company do you need my SS# as part of the agreement? +

    No, if payments will be made out to a registered business name, you will need to submit the Federal Tax ID Number.
  • Why does Owl Eye Records need SS #, Tax ID # and W-9 tax forms as part of the agreement? +

    In compliance with the Federal Tax requirements, we must report all wages and income received by US citizens to the IRS using your SS or Tax ID number. We cannot issue payment without this information.
  • How much of the licensing fee will I earn when a placement is secured? +

    Owl Eye Records retains 50% of gross licensing commissions and disburses 50% to the Licensor.
  • How much compensation will I receive when my songs are licensed by Owl Eye Records? +

    License fees are generally negotiated on a case by case basis, so there is no set rate. Compensation will vary greatly based on the scope of the project and purpose of the songs employed. Placements through Owl Eye Records can range from under $250 to thousands of dollars for a single agreement. License agreements are all uniquely different and dependent on extent of usage in a particular project type or media employed. According to a survey conducted and published by Berklee School of Music in 2012 here is the average breakdown: $250 - $750/Independent film, Film festival use ($0 if a credit is all you require), $4,000 - $7,500/Promotional trailer (theatrical), $2,000 - $2,500/Promotional trailer (TV), $0 - $250/Basic cable TV program ($0 if a credit is all you require), $100 - $500/Daytime drama on network TV, $500 - $2,500/Primetime one-hour TV series, and $15,000 - $100,000/National TV commercial.Keep in mind the industry standard of a 50/50 split.
  • When and how do I get paid? +

    You receive payment on a quarterly disbursement cycle. You can receive payments under these circumstances: • At the beginning of the quarter month, for any distribution amount owned from the previous quarter. • Distribution election of either PayPal or bank account (can be changed at any time with 30 days’ notice) • Transfer of funds to PayPal will require a verified PayPal account (deposits up to 4 days after issue) • Direct deposit to a verified bank account (set-up fee plus deposit fee will apply)
  • 1
  • 2

Promotion and Opportunity

  • Do I get final approval of a specific license proposal? +

    Only if the license is for exclusive use. For non-exclusive licenses, which are the vast majority of deals we make, the rights of approval are solely ours. When you sign up with Owl Eye Records, you are hiring us to act as a licensing agent for your music, and as such to use our best discretion to make non-exclusive agreements on your behalf. This was we can usually get the deal inked quickly and efficiently.
  • Will Owl Eye Records music library be promoted on social media? +

    Yes. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and SoundCloud. Licensor may also post samples using Owl Eye Records back links to social networks and in your own marketing platforms.
  • Who submits my music to projects? +

    We match any appropriate music already in our library to the opportunity then submit directly to the music supervisors commissioned on a project. You are then notified via email that a song has been selected for submission. If you believe you have something that fits the criteria, you may also submit directly using our internal submission system. You may be required to pay a small fee or upgrade to a member level including the feature.
  • How will I know when there are new opportunities? +

    All registered members at OwlEyeRecords.com are automatically subscribed to receive occasional opportunity updates. Not all opportunities will apply to your music, so be mindful of the criteria and respond only to those that match your work.
  • 1

Membership Levels

  • Songwriters and Composers +

    An Owl Eye Records artist/composer membership invitation is determined by our listening team for handpicked music inclusion. For a limited time, registration is open to the public for a 90 day introductory period as a Guest. We will manually administer any submitted music that may be showcased. We reserve the right to update, alter or change membership rates and features at any time.
    View Plans
  • 1